DH and I are moving into a new rental at the end of the summer. It has a TINY kitchen, and I'm looking for ideas to maximize the use of the small space.
Here are a couple of issues
- The lower cabinet beside the stove is non-functioning - the basement stairs run under it. So there's even LESS cabinet space in this kitchen than it looks, argh!
- The basement stairs issue also explains why there's a strange box on top of the countertop, further reducing countertop space
- There's a cut out in the wall beside the fridge so I can't stick shelves there
- Where would I put pots/pans??
- I'm open to adding a small kitchen island beside the fridge or something, but I don't even know if there's enough space for that. Also this depends on whether or not I can move the fridge so that the door doesn't swing into that space under the cut out
- It's ugly. I'll take off the border and re-paint - any ideas as to paint colour?
- No dishwasher
Do people usually put a dish drying rack on their counter? In the sink?
Since it's a rental, I won't be changing the countertops or floor, or ripping out the wall and sticking an island in (all of which I would love to do!)
Any ideas?? I'm starting to think that living with this kitchen for the next few years is going to drive me crazy